Tuesday 18 October 2011

Joy of play for senior citizens


While surfing meaninglessly on theInternet, I encountered a video demonstrating the senior citizens playground (in Finnish, leikkialue). This video is a demo video from the Finnish playground manufacturer Lappset, demonstrating their new series of playground equipments of older persons.

In the video an elderly lady (but by no means old, actually a very fit looking one) is moving a ring from one end to another in the equipment called a snake bar. According to the video texts, this movement helps getting dressed, combing hair, washing oneself, and hanging up clothes. For me, this looks like a pretty dull activity, but then again I am not the professional in physiotherapy or geriatrics.

The second part of the video is about grey haired gentleman (he doesn’t look as fit as the first lady) crossing a net that is stretched near the ground. He steps slowly in the holes of the net or on the net; this exercise should help avoid and cross obstacles. Even with a provided hand-rail, this looks like a much more dangerous activity to me, and I’m not sure I would like to see my grandma using this equipment without someone watching over her.

The rest of the exercises on the video are more or less similar to the first two: either looking too complicated or way too simple. There are two of them that catch my attention: the Finger Steps, where you ascend or descend the steps with your fingers (for helping unbuttoning and using a mobile phone), and Spring Stool, where one can do hip rotation when seated (helps finding and maintaining a good sitting position). The Spring Stool I would like to get in my work place – that would be ideal way to relax in the middle of the boring day. Finger Steps could probably serve as the stress tool for most stressed sales managers.

While watching the video I tried to picture an elderly person in very weak physical condition, or on contrary and one of these power seniors running marathons, using these equipments. Some of the exercises might be too challenging for the first person, and for the second, definitely not challenging at all. But what bothers me most is the simplicity of many of these exercises: according the manufacturer, these equipments should inspire the playful mind, and facilitate and enrich the everyday lives of senior citizens. It might be just me, but I feel that at some level, elderly are highly underestimated here.

No comments:

Post a Comment